Hurting People Hurt
"Hurting People Hurt." I read this quote on Two Peas - this quote is mighty powerful isn't it?
Years ago I had a customer come in and she was very angry - nothing I did was right and she was being belligerant the entire transaction. A salesman came over because he could hear her from the other end of the store and started a conversation asking how her hubby was. He had cancer. Her children? Her son had been killed in a wreck and the other one was still in a wheelchair. After a bit of talking with her, it was obvious what the real problems were - and they were not me.
Later I thanked the salesman for coming over and rescuing me. Kenneth (the salesman) said something that has stuck with me every since that moment: "Listen to what they are NOT saying - they need you." That single statement has changed the way I deal with people, and it is a miracle how they react to politeness and concern - it is like you douse the fire with kindness and they just open up.
Thanks Kenneth and Two Peas for the reminder :-)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home