Buckle Up and Hug Your Babies
“Buckle up and hug your babies - tomorrow may never come – tell everyone.” Theresa kept repeating this as she was sobbing into my neck - fingers entwined in my hair. I will never forget those words.
Danny Charles was in the truck with the driver and another friend on Sunday. Tropical Storm Matthew had dumped huge amounts of rain on the area, and they were driving on a highway. The driver lost control, hydroplaned, crashed, and Danny Charles and the driver were thrown from the vehicle – and when it stopped, they were under it. Danny had horrible facial injuries and his artery was severed. He died instantly. The two in the front were not wearing their seat belts, and both lost their lives. The friend in the back was belted in, alive and at the wake visiting with friends. The viewing was open – but it did not even look like Danny Charles. Danny was only 23.
Theresa also kept repeating one other set of words – “they told me I can’t touch my babies face – the make-up will break. Remind me not to touch my babies face. I don’t want it to break. How can I not touch my baby?”
How heart wrenching last night was – I bawled right there with her for 15 minutes. She kept hanging on to me and begging me not to leave. There were literally hundreds of people there. I have never been to a wake with that many people - ever. It was in New Orleans and they had 6 viewing rooms. They closed them all for him.
Today on my agenda:
*10,000 steps before 7:45am
*Dog is going to groomers for the first time ever! I am going to be moral support to Lily :-)
*I have a date to hug my daughter and help her for a bit
*OCS and I have an appt to discuss the future of our garden
*Primrose will be here - read finally - to drop off her Girl Scout checkbook. I had to get stern with her - and I did not want to do that. Being an SUM is tough on its good days
*I have to have Rose at the DA's office at 3pm for pre-trial prep. Rose broke down and sobbed on Tuesday. She does not want to testify against Poison Ivy. She loves him and it hurts - but she also hates his poison. She is strong and resolved, knowing she must save others from the same saga. Pre-trial jitters are ravaging our entire garden.
*My night of escape on TV - I am looking forward to an escape - but no CSI, I cannot handle that today.
I hugged Rycon this morning - even if over the internet. I reminded him to buckle up - and he said, "Mom I always do - you taught me that." I said, "Passionflower taught her children that too. We both brought all of you home in a seatbelt before it was cool - but he didn't have his on. Wear your seatbelt. I love you." He said, "Yes, m'am - but I always do."
My garden continues to grow being nurtured by the petals that have fallen. The new flowers are heavy with blooms waiting to be seen. The sun is rising and today is another day God has given us - let's make the most of it.
"Buckle your belts and hug your babies - tomorrow may never come."
Cajunsis


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home