Friday, September 02, 2005

We have a new guest!

Steve and I got a call from the shelter that an elderly man needed a place to stay. We rode down there and visited with some of the people and talked with Mr M and the Dr on call. He explained that Mr M was too ill to stay at the shelter and alternate plans could be made. The entire area was in crisis and calling us was their only hope and alternative.

Mr M is 82. He was already so very ill, and had lost a lot of strength escaping from New Orleans after the storm. He came to us with terminal cancer and congestive heart failure. We will let him stay as long as he wants to and rest. He says he has no family and no where to go. I hope he is confused and will be able to think more clearly in a day or two. I cannot imagine how horrible this must be for him. He is from St Charles St in New Orleans. I will listen to what he says and see if I can catch any hints for relaives. How amazing this man has even survived this!

He says he left New Orleans with a guard that worked at his condominium and her three kids and another man. They dropped of the man in a town nearby and Mr M's 1969 Cadillac broke down by the bridge and a cop brought him in to the shelter. The guard left with his Cadillac this morning even though he told her no. I have tried to convince him to file a stolen car report but he refuses. I think he is afraid they will hurt him. I will continue to work with him and maybe he will see his car again someday. He said he has someone wax it every Friday. Imagine what the car must look like!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home