Monday, September 05, 2005

Trying to update, but I am behind

I am trying to enter my handwritten journals here so I will always remember what is going on. However, it is difficult to go back when we are where we are today. Reading what we thought and knowing the reality is not easy. Please bear with me as I try to get it all logged in.

And today...

Most of you know that I have been a Girl Scout for 20+ years. Today I looked at our Council website because I have not heard from some of my friends. I am sad to say we still have some girls unaccounted for. Peggy, Pat and I have known each other for years. I am praying for their safety. Here is the site in case you would like to keep them in prayer.
http://www.girlscoutssela.org/frameset1.cgi?Other_Pages/sept05floodmessages.html#sept03

I am also looking for other friends that are missing. Tom, David, Lorrene, JD, Donnie ... where are you? Are you ok? The lists... the endless lists.... I keep looking up these names over and over. No luck. I have listed others that I know were ok. I get calls with people begging for some clue as to whether their loved one is ok...

How do I describe the loss I am feeling? I know out of just my little group there will be lots of friends lost forever and maybe never even identified.

They are setting up a morgue for 5,000 (to begin with) in a warehouse. They will try to identify people and contact family members. Family members who are strung across the country... How in the heck are they going to find family members spread all over for 20,000 people???

What do we compare this to in the price of lives? Never in my life have I ever seen or been near such destruction. Helpless does not even begin to cover what I am feeling. Never have I witnessed such bravery. Never have I witnessed such dispair. Never have I witnessed such incredible strength. Never have I shared so many emotions with others. Never will I ever be the same. Never have I will I see New Orleans like I have seen it before.

How could this happen in the south Louisiana and Mississippi USA in 2005??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home